Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Brace Yourself.

Things are Looking Up in the Knee Department.

It’s been six weeks since my inexplicable right knee injury that has caused me to miss work and go on disability, and for the first time since I got the news, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it’s not a train.

First off, I went to see the doctor last Monday, March 2nd. He was sufficiently impressed with the progress the knee had made – I was able to lift it completely up without the immobilizer on – hence I was able to go to physical therapy to start the process of strengthening the knee so I could return to work.

The first visit to the PT was hardly encouraging. While I could lift the leg up, I was not able to bend the knee more than 20 degrees, not without tremendous pain. Depressing, but he gave me some exercises to do at home designed to increase range on the knee. Over the next three sessions, I have not only gotten the range to 100 degrees, but I now have sufficient strength to walk around the house without a brace on. The pain is all but gone, and I am continuing to work on both range and strength. In four PT sessions I am amazed at the progress I am making.

As a result of this progress, I will be returning to work part time as of Saturday. I have no illusions as to the time this will take. It has only been a little over a week since I started PT; clearly there is a long road ahead. I still can’t legally drive yet; that is still over a week away. But what a difference 10 days makes.

Thank you to all of you who kept me in your prayers these last six weeks. I am half way home. By the end of the month I hope to be fully recovered, or pretty close to it.


Blessings,

Peter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hurray!